So you’re headed to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling!
No matter where you’re going in Hawaii, it’s important to make sure you’re drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of food and snacks for energy!
So, how to make sure you have that energy while you’re snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, as well as afterwards?!
Is food allowed at Hanauma Bay?
As of this writing in September 2017, there are no bag checks at Hanauma Bay.
Which would mean that food is allowed at Hanauma Bay.
But if you do choose to bring your own snacks (which is a good idea!), be sure to clean up after yourself. There are plenty of trash cans around. Also make sure no wrappers and such go flying away!
If you'll be snorkeling on your next vacation, consider wearing these types of UV swim shirts, and also see some snorkeling essentials for Hawaii. And for Hawaii vacation ideas, see great short hikes on Oahu with ocean views, and great scenic drives to plan on Maui, and great areas to visit as you circle the Big Island, and great coastal hikes on the quiet island of Lanai!
Where is the snack bar located?
There is a snack bar at Hanauma Bay.
It is located before entry into the admissions area. This means that if you’re down at the beach and decide you want food, you’ll have to make the trek (or $1.25 tram ride) back up to the top, and then buy your food. If you’re looking for some post-snorkeling food, then this wouldn’t be a problem!
If you do leave the admissions area, make sure to get your hand stamped if you plan on heading back down to the beach. This allows you to make a re-entry.
What food is on the Hanauma Bay snack bar menu, and what are the food prices?
Here is a list of the food and drinks available on the snack bar menu, as well as prices:
- Smart water $6.25
- Dasani water $4.25
- Powerade $5
- Juice $5
- Tea $5
- Bottled soda $4.50
- Lemonade $4.50
- Chicken strips and fries $9.25
- Nachos $7.25
- Garlic fries – French fries $6.25
- Chili with rice $5.50
- Hot dog $5.25
- Teriyaki chicken $10.25
- Kalua pork and cabbage $10.25
- Grilled egg battered fish $10.25
- Mini teriyaki chicken $8
- Oriental chicken salad $12.75
- Chicken caesar salad $12.75
- Caesar salad $9
- Bacon cheeseburger $10.50
- BBQ pulled pork sandwich $10.25
- Cheeseburger $9.25
- Hamburger $8.25
- Fish burger $8.25
- Teriyaki burger $8
- Garden burger $10.25
- Grilled cheese sandwich $6.25
Grab and Go
- Large fruit salad $12
- Turkey wrap $8.50
- Ham wrap $8.50
- Small fruit salad $7.50
- Garden salad $7.50
- Brownie $4.25
- Chocolate chip cookie $3.25
- Potato chips $3.25
- Ice cream $7.25
- Shave ice $6.25
Credit cards are accepted at the snack bar: American Express, MasterCard, Visa, Discover.
Again, this information is as of September 2017.
More things you may want to pack for your Hanauma Bay snorkeling trip!
Now, here are a few more things to take a look at to prepare for snorkeling at Hanauma Bay!
- If you decide to buy your snorkel gear before you go, this standard-snorkeling set or this full-face snorkeling mask
- This case so you can take pristine underwater pictures with your phone. (It’s cheap!)
- This pouch so you can take your valuables with you in the water!
- These types of UV protection shirts to wear so you don’t burn under the strong tropical sun rays when you’re in the water! If you’re on a desktop, use the far left column to filter by women, men, girls, or boys! And these types of swim shorts too for adults and kids.
- These types of beach shoes if you’re not wearing fins so you can protect your feet from sharp rocks hidden under the sand… and for if you accidentally hit your feet against the coral reef – it can cut you!
- For more beach outfits, have a look at:
HAPPY EATING AT HANAUMA BAY!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see more about the best shoes for hiking in Hawaii.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
Swimwear for snorkeling and beach- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- What to wear hiking
- Snorkeling essentials for Hawaii
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
more Hawaii travel tips:
-- Oahu travel planning map
-- 3 day Oahu itinerary
-- 2 week Oahu itinerary
-- Best short hikes on Oahu with amazing views
- BIG ISLAND:
-- Big Island travel planning map
-- 7 day Big Island itinerary
-- Best beach hikes on the Big Island with amazing views