If you’re in India, no doubt that the world wonder that belongs to India is worth a visit!
If you’re doing the Golden Triangle, or you’ll be in Delhi or Rajasthan, the Taj Mahal is just a few hours away.
So here are some tips for your visit to the Taj Mahal and trip to Agra!
The Agra itinerary
Here first is the quick list of things to know when planning your one day in Agra.
- Getting to Agra: Jaipur to Agra by train
- Should you make it a day trip to Agra?
- Is Agra beyond the Taj Mahal worth it?
- Best tours in Agra
- ONE DAY IN AGRA
Read on below for more details about each of these tourist attractions in Agra!
- Hawaii: Mistakes NOT to make your first time to Hawaii | What to wear in Hawaii
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas --- Tips for first time Carnival cruise
- Tips for backpacking Kerala India
Getting to Agra: Jaipur to Agra by train
I went to Agra from Jaipur by taking a “superfast” Shatabdi Express train.
Shatabdi trains are a step up from the typical trains in India. The seats are more comfortable, and you will be served a good amount of food even though it’s a short duration.
These Shatabdi trains are more expensive than traditional trains, but the convenience of arrival and departure time can be worth it!
There are many trains that go to Agra, and there is the Agra Cantt train station and Agra Fort train station. Most seem to go to Agra Cantt, but the Jaipur to Agra Shatabdi train goes to the Agra Fort train station.
Since I visited the Agra Fort, I found the nearby train station to be convenient since I could walk there at the end of the day.
Taking a direct train in which you’re boarding the train at the station of origin also means that you know you’ll have an on-time departure.
One of the best ways to search for trains to Agra can be using trainman.
You can also check out your bus options using redbus.
Should you make it a day trip to Agra and not stay overnight?
I made it a day trip to Agra from Jaipur, and I thought it was the perfect one day in Agra.
There are also a number of train options from Delhi, so you can make a day trip to Agra from Delhi worth it too.
On the Jaipur to Agra Shatabdi train, it took around 3.5 to 4 hours one way.
There’s a Shatabdi train in both directions. I took the Jaipur to Agra train in the morning, and the Agra to Jaipur train in the evening. With the timings of this train, I had around 6 hours to explore Agra.
From Delhi to Agra, the distance is slightly shorter. This means that you can likely find express trains that will give you the same amount of time or more to explore Agra in one day from Delhi too.
This was enough time to make me feel like my trip to Agra was worth it!
The main reasons I liked making it a day trip to Agra:
- You don’t have to drag around heavy luggage
- You don’t have to unpack and pack your luggage again
- The top sights are relatively close to each other
- You get to return “home” to a familiar place at the end of the day!
- You won’t feel too bad about not sightseeing in Agra for more than a day
Agra beyond the Taj Mahal: Is there anything worth it?
I am SO sorry to do this, but I’ve moved this info!
HAPPY ONE DAY IN AGRA!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.