Taking your bike with you as part of your next air travel plans or train travel plans?
Here are two options to find yourself a cheap cardboard bike box (or a free cardboard bike box!) to pack your bike for the plane or train.
<< Also be sure to check the bike travel gear list! >>
Check with your local bike store
Many times your local bike store will have extra cardboard bike boxes that are waiting to be trashed… ahem, recycled. So they will be happy to give you one. It might be helpful to have shopped at your local bike store previously before going in and asking for one. But even if you haven’t, local bike stores are usually run by friendly folks, so most of the time they will be happy to help you out if they can. All in the name of spreading bike love! The cost depends on the individual bike store. Some may ask for a small fee for the cardboard bike box, but most will probably provide it to you for free. Walk in or call ahead to find out!
Even better would be to go in to your local bike store to go shopping for items you need anyway. Then while you’re there, you can be like, “Oh by the way, I’m in need of a cardboard bike box to pack my bike for the plane… Do you happen to have a spare bike box?” 🙂
- Hawaii: Mistakes NOT to make your first time to Hawaii | What to wear in Hawaii
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas --- Tips for first time Carnival cruise
- Tips for backpacking Kerala India
Check with your local Amtrak train station
Even if you’re looking for a cheap cardboard bike box for travel by plane, check with your local Amtrak station to see if they sell bike boxes. If your local train station is a staffed train station that offers the opportunity to check in baggage, they might sell bike boxes for $15.
HAPPY BIKE TRAVELS!
- Flying with your bike: Comparing airline bike fees
- Scenic bike rides in the United States: Where to bike in all 50 states
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.