Best beach in the world
Lanikai Beach has made lists for being among the best beaches in the world and the best beaches in the United States. See here and here for those designations. That should be a good enough reason to head to Lanikai Beach as a top beach destination! You’ve made it all the way to Hawaii, and you’re so close in proximity to one of the best beaches in the world, how can you not visit, right? 😉
If you'll be snorkeling on your next vacation, consider wearing these types of UV swim shirts, and also see some snorkeling essentials for Hawaii. And for Hawaii vacation ideas, see great short hikes on Oahu with ocean views, and great scenic drives to plan on Maui, and great areas to visit as you circle the Big Island, and great coastal hikes on the quiet island of Lanai!
Lanikai Beach pictures
Path to Lanikai Beach
Mokulua Islands as seen from Lanikai Beach
End of Lanikai Beach looking towards Kailua Bay
Things to know about Lanikai Beach
Parking isn’t always the easiest around the beach.
Another thing is that this beach doesn’t have facilities. So there are no bathrooms or showers. After your visit to Lanikai Beach, take a short drive over to Kailua Beach Park which does have beach facilities. Kailua Beach Park is also walkable from Lanikai Beach. It would be about a 20-30 minute walk.
How to get to Lanikai Beach
The best way to get to Lanikai Beach is by car. If you’re not already renting a car, consider renting a car for the day. It will typically take around 45 minutes to reach Lanikai from Waikiki. You may also encounter traffic that may add to the time. When in the vicinity of Lanikai Beach, be aware of any “no parking” signs, and don’t park there!
If you are committed to the bus, you can reach Lanikai Beach by bus too. From Waikiki, you can expect it to take around 1.5 hours by bus which will likely include 1-2 transfers and waiting time. You also want to keep in mind that the bus is less frequent around Lanikai and Kailua compared to Waikiki, so you’ll want to time the bus well when departing Lanikai.
Be sure to have a look at how to get to Lanikai Beach by bus for more tips and things to know!
Things to do near Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Pillbox Hike
Relaxing or swimming at Lanikai Beach would make a perfect follow-up to the Lanikai Pillbox Hike.
The pillbox hike can be a short hike to get up to the ridge of the mountain range, or you can make it into a longer hike by hiking the full Kaiwa Ridge Trail. See more info about the Lanikai Pillbox Hike!
Kayak to the Mokulua islands from Kailua Beach
If those islands seem extra inviting to you, you can see them up close and personal! Have a look at look at how to kayak to the Mokulua islands from Kailua Beach!
Interactive map around Lanikai
Plan your trip to Lanikai Beach using the Lanikai map below!
Things to maybe pack for your trip to Hawaii!
Now, here are some things that you just may want to add to your Hawaii packing list for Lanikai Beach and more!
- This case so you can take pristine underwater pictures with your phone when swimming! (It’s cheap!)
- This waterproof pouch so you don’t have to worry about leaving valuables on the beach
- These types of beach shoes so you don’t have to worry about hidden rocks under the sand!
- This type of beach bag that’ll help you dry things out so you can be ready for the next beach day!
- For your beach outfits, take a look at…
- These packing cubes so you can find the stuff in your suitcase easily once you land in Hawaii so you waste no time getting out and about!
HAPPY LANIKAI BEACH PLANNING!
Lanikai Beach is in East Oahu!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see more about the best shoes for hiking in Hawaii.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
Swimwear for snorkeling and beach- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- What to wear hiking
- Snorkeling essentials for Hawaii
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
more Hawaii travel tips:
-- Oahu travel planning map
-- 3 day Oahu itinerary
-- 2 week Oahu itinerary
-- Best short hikes on Oahu with amazing views
- BIG ISLAND:
-- Big Island travel planning map
-- 7 day Big Island itinerary
-- Best beach hikes on the Big Island with amazing views