The Ehukai Pillbox Hike will give you stunning views of Sunset Beach and other parts of the North Shore!
This hike is easy to add to your itinerary when you’re on the North Shore. This is because it’s located right off the main road and it won’t take up half a day to get to and complete. So you can add it to your list of things to do on the North Shore.
It can be a perfect pre-lunch hike. (Assuming you’re not too hungry!)
There are also food trucks located right near Shark’s Cove, and there’s also a grocery store (Foodland) nearby if you’re looking for cheaper food options.
- Diamond Head Hike
- Makapuu Lighthouse Trail
- Manoa Falls Trail
- Koko Head Hike
- Lanikai Pillbox Hike
- Puu Maelieli Trail
- North Shore Pillbox Hike
near ehukai pillbox hike >> things to do on the north shore
What’s the North Shore pillbox hike like?
Because there are a few steep inclines, there are a few parts that may have you breathing hard. But otherwise, it’s generally not too strenuous. You can likely complete this hike in an hour, although this will depend on how long you stop at each of the overlooks.
Make sure you pay attention to where you’re going and where you came from, because it can be easy to get turned around if you’re not careful.
Some Yelp reviews for this hike report that you need to pass a “no trespassing sign” to get to the most famous pillbox on this trail. (The one with the peace sign on it.) So, as with all hikes on Oahu, hike at your own risk! A few other reviews report that they were unable to find the famous pillbox. They turned around not having found it.
- Hawaii: Mistakes NOT to make your first time to Hawaii | What to wear in Hawaii
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas --- Tips for first time Carnival cruise
- Tips for backpacking Kerala India
What to wear for this Oahu pillbox hike
The basics of what to wear hiking in Hawaii can apply to this hike too.
The most important part is to wear footwear that give a decent bit of traction. You can have a look at hiking sandals like these.
And even though this is a relatively short hike, it’s always a good idea to bring along at least a small snack like an energy bar… just in case!
How to get to the Ehukai Pillbox Hike
To get to this trail, you enter the parking lot of the Sunset Beach Elementary School that is located right off the main road on the North Shore. (Many people park here for the hike.)
The start of the trail is off to the left side.
Scenes from the Ehukai Pillbox Hike aka North Shore Pillbox Hike
It starts off as a seemingly typical hiking trail
After you start walking for a bit, you’ll soon approach an area that’s a bit of an uphill. It may look like there’s a bit of a fork in which you can choose to go 2 ways. You’ll want to choose the right side.
From there you keep going.
You’ll soon start to see the ocean on your left side through the trees… and then out in the open!
You’ll soon approach the first overlook
You might think you’ve made it! 😉
But there’s more to come.
As you can see, at this overlook there’s a picnic table. So this could be a good spot for a small picnic on your way back with food you buy from the grocery store. (Don’t overeat though. You are on a hike after all.)
You’ll continue to follow the trail.
You’ll soon reach the first pillbox
Take in the views!
Then you can continue on to the next pillbox. (The one with the famous peace sign on it!)
It’s from here that it’s possible that it can get confusing. You might think you’re going the wrong way.
There’s kind of an open area that goes downhill a little bit. And that’s the right direction.
So keep going.
And then you’ll end up at the pillbox with the peace sign!
You’ll also get great views of Sunset Beach!
And then head on back the way you came!
HAPPY NORTH SHORE PILLBOX HIKING!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.