The Aiea Loop Trail is a hiking trail that’s located towards the back of the Keaiwa Heiau State Park. It’s a little less than 5 miles long, and you’ll want to allow 2-3 hours to complete it.
This trail will keep you on your toes with the variable terrain and tree roots along the path that will keep you from getting bored!
There are a few areas of narrow paths with a steep drop off on one side which can look a little scary if you’re afraid of heights!
Many locals consider this trail to be family-friendly, but it could be considered difficult for kids in some parts because of the areas of steep inclines combined with loose gravel and dirt. This is not the majority of the trail at all, but still something you may want to consider.
But you’ll get amazing views when hiking the Aiea Loop Trail!
It’s best not to do this trail after it’s rained, as it could become very muddy. That can make for dangerous conditions as well.
Even if it hasn’t rained recently, there may be muddy parts, so have a spare pair of socks or sandals in your car so you can get out of your muddy footwear! You’ll want to wear proper shoes with traction for the best experience on this trail.
See hiking gear essentials for more on what’s ideal to have with you on a hike.
To decide if the Aiea Loop Trail is a hiking trail that you want to embark upon, have a look at the Yelp reviews!
How long does it take to hike the Aiea Loop Trail?
Here are my stats from the Aiea Loop Trail with time, distance, and elevation. (You can see some more pictures there too.) It took me just under 3 hours. I’d say I was walking at a pretty leisurely rate (slow!) and I got passed a couple of times.
- Hawaii: Mistakes NOT to make your first time to Hawaii | What to wear in Hawaii
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas --- Tips for first time Carnival cruise
- Tips for backpacking Kerala India
Finding the military plane crash location on Aiea Loop Trail
In the 1940s, a military plane flew into the mountain range, and the remnants of the plane crash still exist today on Aiea Loop Trail. However, it requires an adventurous spirit to find the plane on the trail! (As well as plenty of caution!) The crash site is not marked, so it’s up to you to locate it! Learn more about finding the Aiea Loop Trail plane crash location.
Activities near Aiea Loop Trail
Since Aiea Loop Trail is at Keaiwa Heiau State Park, you can also have a quick visit to the Keaiwa Heiau when you go for a hike on the Aiea Loop Trail. When you arrive at the park, you can’t miss the heiau!
A heiau is an ancient Hawaiian temple, and you’ll see the site of the heiau immediately upon entering the park.
This state park and hiking trail is good to add on to your schedule when you have a few hours to spare after a visit to Pearl Harbor. The state park is about 20 minutes from Pearl Harbor.
Things to do near Aiea Loop Trail
Explore this Oahu map below to further plan your day with the Aiea Loop Trail on your itinerary!
HAPPY AIEA LOOP HIKING!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.