No matter where which of the Waikiki hotels you’re staying at, there’s a good chance you’ll end up passing by the iconic Duke Kahanamoku Statue.
So, just who was Duke Kahanamoku?
In part, described by the statue plaque…
Raised in Waikiki, Duke was a full-blooded Hawaiian, who symbolized Hawaii to millions of people. He developed into an Olympic champion and the world’s fastest swimmer. Over his Olympic career, he won 3 gold medals and 2 silver medals.
He is also known as the…
- Hawaii: What to wear hiking in Hawaii | Hawaii sunscreen ban
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas | Key West sunscreen ban
- More travel: When to avoid a trip to Japan
Father of International Surfing
Duke Kahanamoku introduced surfing to the eastern seaboard of America, Europe, and Australia. He became a hero when he used his surfboard to save lives from a capsized boat at Corona del Mar, California, in 1925. He was also a movie actor for a number of years. Later, he was elected Sheriff of Honolulu for 13 consecutive terms. He has been recognized as Hawaii’s Ambassador of Aloha since 1912.
He lived from 1890 to 1968.
Duke’s in Oahu is named after him
There’s a famous restaurant in Oahu, Duke’s Waikiki, where you can further learn about this Hawaii legend. You can have a look at the Duke’s Waikiki restaurant menu here to see if you want to put Duke’s on your list of things to do in Oahu!
So when you walk past the Duke Kahanamoku statue as you’re headed to a Waikiki beach…
Now you know! 😉
So where exactly is the Duke Kahanamoku statue in Waikiki?
Do you want to expand your search outside of Waikiki? See the Oahu map!
HAPPY HAWAII PLANNING!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.