So you’ve gotten back to your Waikiki hotel after a full day of activities and adventures around Oahu. You’re feeling like you want to take it easy but not quite yet retire for the night!
What a perfect time to sit back, relax, enjoy the sunset, and take in some Hawaiian music with a Hawaiian cultural show on Waikiki Beach! 😉
The free hula show in Waikiki!
Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, there’s a chance for you to get a taste of Hawaiian culture right in the heart of Waikiki!
You’ll be treated to authentic Hawaiian music and Hawaiian dancing. The show starts off with a torch lighting ceremony and the blowing of a conch shell.
The Hawaiian cultural show takes place outdoors right on the beach at sunset starting around 6pm or 6:30pm depending on the time of year. November, December, January starts at 6pm, and the rest of the year starts at 6:30pm.
Timings are subject to change and cancellation. Occasionally there are days that the show will not be happening. Check the calendar of events at the Waikiki Improvement Association as your arrival date to Hawaii gets closer. The calendar is out 1-2 months in advance and will tell you any days that there is no show.
Being an outdoor show, the show is also weather dependent and could be cancelled due to inclement weather.
And if you’re looking for further cultural experiences when in Hawaii, be sure to check out the best cultural tours on Oahu.
- 2 mile walk on Waikiki Beach
- Best snorkeling spot in Waikiki
- Best hike near Waikiki
- Bike rental in Waikiki
- Hotels with family-friendly activities in Waikiki
- Getting around by bus from Waikiki
- Best unforgettable adventures on Oahu
- Hawaii: What to wear hiking in Hawaii | Hawaii sunscreen ban
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas | Key West sunscreen ban
- More travel: When to avoid a trip to Japan
Where the hula show is located: Kuhio Beach Park in Waikiki
This free hula show takes place at the Kuhio Beach Mound at Kuhio Beach Park. The above picture shows the scenes of the mound during the day.
The grassy area you see some people lounging out is the space for you to sit and enjoy the show!
The three torches you see there get lit with fire during the torch lighting ceremony before the hula show begins.
The makeshift stage is away from the beach side where the performers do their thing, so the beach will be behind you as you watch the show.
And while you’re waiting for the show to begin, you have the views of the sunset on the beach…
HAPPY WAIKIKI BEACH HULA PLANNING!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.