Hanauma Bay is a top snorkeling destination in Hawaii. It’s one of the most famous snorkeling spots in Oahu.
So, can you rent snorkeling gear at Hanauma Bay?
How much does it cost to rent snorkel gear?
For the quick answer…
Here are the prices at Hanauma Bay for a day of snorkeling on Oahu:
- This type of full-face snorkeling mask + fins: $40
- This type of regular snorkeling mask + snorkel + fins: $20
- Regular snorkeling mask + snorkel, no fins: $12
- Fins only: $9
You can also rent prescription masks, buy a new snorkel mouthpiece, and have storage space with lockers.
What to do when the parking lot is full at Hanauma Bay (Don’t waste your day!)
Picture taken September 2017
The note on the board in the picture says no life jackets or flotation devices are offered.
So if you would like something like that, you might want to bring along a snorkel vest like this one.
Things you might want for your Hanauma Bay snorkeling trip
Now, here are a few more things to take a look at to prepare for snorkeling at Hanauma Bay!
- If you decide to buy your snorkel gear before you go, this standard-snorkeling set or this full-face snorkeling mask
- This case so you can take pristine underwater pictures with your phone. (It’s cheap!)
- This pouch so you can take your valuables with you in the water!
- These types of UV protection shirts to wear so you don’t burn under the strong tropical sun rays when you’re in the water! If you’re on a desktop, use the far left column to filter by women, men, girls, or boys! And these types of swim shorts too for adults and kids.
- These types of beach shoes if you’re not wearing fins so you can protect your feet from sharp rocks hidden under the sand… and for if you accidentally kick coral reef so you won’t get a cut – they are sharp!
- For more beach outfits, have a look at:
If you'll be snorkeling on your next vacation, consider wearing these types of UV swim shirts, and also see some snorkeling essentials for Hawaii. And for Hawaii vacation ideas, see great short hikes on Oahu with ocean views, and great scenic drives to plan on Maui, and great areas to visit as you circle the Big Island, and great coastal hikes on the quiet island of Lanai!
Hanauma Bay snorkeling
Hanauma Bay is one of the Hawaii Marine Life Conservation Districts. There are these Marine Life Conservation Districts on 3 of the Hawaiian islands: Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii island (the Big Island).
Hanauma Bay is one of 3 conservation districts on Oahu. The other 2 on Oahu can be found along parts of the coast of Waikiki and the North Shore.
Part of what makes Hanauma Bay protected is because of the abundance of marine life that can be seen in the bay. This makes Hanauma Bay a popular snorkeling beach!
And you may be considering snorkeling at Hanauma Bay too! If so, you also may be wondering if it’s necessary to bring your own gear to Hawaii from home.
Now let’s take a more in-depth look at the offerings of Hanauma Bay snorkel rental…
How much is snorkeling in Hawaii when you go to Hanauma Bay?
Well, there are other prices at Hanauma Bay to consider, but here we’ll talk about how much snorkeling rental is when you’re in Hawaii.
If the only time in Hawaii you’ll be snorkeling is when you visit Hanauma Bay, it might be worthwhile to simply rent your snorkeling gear in Oahu, instead of buying it prior to your trip and packing it in your luggage.
So, snorkel gear rental at Hanauma Bay, or bring your own snorkeling gear?
Of course, one of the considerations that goes into that decision is knowing how much it costs to rent gear when you get there!
And so… 🙂
What can you rent at Hanauma Bay?
You can rent the snorkeling gear at Hanauma Bay as a package that includes the mask, snorkel, and fins. Or you can also rent the snorkeling gear individually.
Or maybe a full-face snorkeling mask like this one.
This way, all you have to do is rent the fins individually at Hanauma Bay, and you’ve got snorkeling gear for your whole trip! Fins are the pieces of snorkeling gear that take up the most space in your suitcase, even if you get smaller fins.
Bringing along just a mask and dry snorkel takes up comparatively less space in your suitcase than bringing along a full snorkeling set that includes fins.
You can rent the mask, dry snorkel, and fins as a set when you get to Hanauma Bay, or if you just bring a mask and dry snorkel, you can rent just the fins.
Do you even need fins at all?
Fins will help you move along further and faster in the water. This means that you’ll get a chance to see more while wasting less energy!
Snorkel rental prices: How much does it cost to rent snorkel gear at Hanauma Bay?
Platinum Package: $40
- H2O Ninja mask
Want to see the ninja mask in action? Sure you do! 😉 You can take a look at the video for that! (The video may not show up when you’re on a mobile device but you can still see pictures.)
The H2O Ninja mask is a full-face snorkeling mask. This is a Hawaii company so you can expect to feel the ALOHA when you wear the mask in Oahu. 😉
Premium Package: $20
- Standard snorkeling mask
- Standard dry snorkel
Individual snorkeling gear: $4 – $15
- Standard snorkeling mask and dry snorkel: $12
- Prescription snorkeling mask and dry snorkel: $15
- New mouth piece: $4 (For if you don’t like the idea of wearing a snorkel mouth piece previously used by a stranger)
- Fins: $9
Other things to know about Hanauma Bay rental
Hanauma Bay locker rental prices
- Small locker: $8
- Large locker: $10
What are the hours that you can rent snorkeling gear at Hanauma Bay?
8:00am – 4:30pm
The hours of the Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve are from 6:00am to 7:00pm or 6:00am to 6:00pm depending on the season. But the hours that you can rent snorkeling gear are from 8:00am to 4:30pm. So keep that in mind if you’re thinking about heading to this beach park in the early morning or staying until the evening!
Things to do near Hanauma Bay
Hanauma Bay is in East Oahu!
If you arrive for Hanauma Bay snorkeling to find the parking lot full, these could be alternative activities too that will take 1-2 hours. Then, when you’re done with the hike, you can head on back to see if the Hanauma Bay parking situation has improved!
Here are more things to do on Oahu. There’s an interactive Oahu map!
HAPPY HANAUMA BAY SNORKELING!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see more about the best shoes for hiking in Hawaii.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
Swimwear for snorkeling and beach- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- What to wear hiking
- Snorkeling essentials for Hawaii
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
more Hawaii travel tips:
-- Oahu travel planning map
-- 3 day Oahu itinerary
-- 2 week Oahu itinerary
-- Best short hikes on Oahu with amazing views
- BIG ISLAND:
-- Big Island travel planning map
-- 7 day Big Island itinerary
-- Best beach hikes on the Big Island with amazing views