If you’re looking for a beach day in St. Maarten during your Caribbean cruise, one of the best beaches in St Maarten to consider is this one right here. (See the pictures there.)
That’s Maho Beach, aka Airport Beach.
It’s famous because if you’re there at the right time, and if you’ve got the right spot on the beach, planes will fly directly over you like in this picture here. (Unfortunately, Maho Beach isn’t what it used to be following the destruction of Hurricane Irma in 2017.)
Maho Beach is a 30-40 minute drive to reach, and it requires a shore excursion or taxi to get there. You can see the location on the St. Maarten map below.
Another beach that’s one of the best beaches to visit during a cruise is one you can walk to from the cruise port, right? 😉
And that brings up…
Great Bay Beach
As long as you don’t mind a little walking, it’s quite possible to walk to Great Bay Beach from the St Maarten cruise port.
There are many parts of the island that don’t really make for good walking because of narrow shoulders and lots of cars, but your path to the beach from the cruise port is lined with sidewalks. It’s about a 20 minute walk one way. If you’re lucky, you may even see a mountain goat or two during your walk!
- Hawaii: Mistakes NOT to make your first time to Hawaii | What to wear in Hawaii
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas --- Tips for first time Carnival cruise
- Tips for backpacking Kerala India
Walking to the St Maarten beach near the cruise port…
One thing you’ll notice when you’re in St Maarten is that there are tons of BOATS! You can take a detour to walk through the marina.
Once you get near the beach, you’ll see what’s called the boardwalk
View of the beach from a distance
And there’s the cruise port! Cruise ships on one side, hotel resort on the other.
Things to do near this St Maarten beach
This beach is in a cute little area so you can explore a little bit away from the beach too.
It’s not too busy and it generally has the laid back Caribbean vibe to it.
There are little shops that you can buy a drink or a smoothie, as well as do your souvenir shopping.
The beach is also right by the downtown area of Philipsburg, which is the main city of St Maarten, and you can have a walk exploring the shops and Old Street of St Maarten too.
Downtown Philipsburg near the beach
On the St Maarten map below, you’ll see:
- St Maarten cruise port
- Great Bay Beach
- Old Street and Downtown Philipsburg
- Maho Beach | Airport Beach
- St Maarten Airport
Things to maybe pack for your Caribbean cruise to St Maarten and other islands!
Now, here are some things that you just may want to add to your cruise packing list!
- This case so you can take pristine underwater pictures or pool pictures! (It’s cheap!)
- This pouch so you don’t have to worry about leaving valuables on the beach
- These tag holders so you don’t end up with lost luggage on the cruise ship!
- These cubes so you can find your stuff once on the cruise
- These types of beach shoes so you don’t have to worry about hidden rocks under the sand at any of the cruise ports
- This type of beach bag that’ll help you dry things out so you can be ready for the next beach day!
- For your beach outfits, take a look at…
- Cruise formal: And here are ideas for your cruise outfits for formal night!
- Seasickness: And here are ideas for snacks and wearables to prevent seasickness
- Snorkeling: What to wear snorkeling
HAPPY ST MAARTEN BEACH PLANNING!
More cruise tips:
– What to wear for cruise formal night
– Do you need cruise travel insurance?
– Cruises with kids: Things to do on embarkation day
– How to prevent cruise luggage from getting lost on the cruise ship
– How to prevent seasickness
– What NOT to bring on a cruise
– CRUISE PACKING LIST!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.