If you have a Caribbean cruise with a stop at Grand Cayman, sooner or later, you will hear about Stingray City. There’s a good chance it’s sooner if you’re looking into Grand Cayman shore excursions.
And, stingray city is a COOL experience that you totally should have on your list of considerations for tours in the Cayman Islands!
For shore excursions with stingrays, you have a few different options of what you want included with your day of stingrays. You can add on things like an extra snorkeling spot, a visit to a turtle farm, or kayaking the mangroves of the Caymans.
For more ideas, here are some of the best activities on Grand Cayman.
So, what is stingray city?
First, what do you think of when you think “stingray city”?
The “city” is actually in the middle of the ocean! Well, maybe not the middle of the ocean. You can see the Cayman islands coastline from stingray city, but it is a bit of a distance from shore.
On stingray city excursions, you basically take a boat out to the open water where there is a shallow spot because of a sandbar. So while you are a good ways away from the beach, you can still very easily stand, walk, and swim around with no problems at all.
This is also an area of natural habitat for stingrays, and they visit often.
Of course, since it’s nature, there’s no guarantee of when when stingrays will come around. But there’s a very good chance that you’ll see tons of them if you do make it out on a stingray city excursion.
You’ll be provided snorkeling gear on your stingray tour, so if Grand Cayman is the only island that’ll you’ll be snorkeling during your cruise, you don’t have to put snorkeling gear on your Caribbean cruise packing list.
Stingray city excursions are offered by most, if not all, major cruise lines that cruise the Caribbean. This includes Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, and Disney.
So, what’s a port day in Stingray City like? Here’s a peek!
- Hawaii: What to wear hiking in Hawaii | Hawaii sunscreen ban
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas | Key West sunscreen ban
- More travel: When to avoid a trip to Japan
Heading out to the open water by boat…
Do you see the stingray that’s headed towards stingray city? 😉
Your tour guide will show you how to hold a stingray
Stingray city is one of the most popular Grand Cayman excursions during a Caribbean cruise!
Things to maybe pack for your cruise to Grand Cayman!
Now, here are some things that you just may want to add to your cruise packing list!
- This case so you can take pristine underwater pictures or pool pictures! (It’s cheap!)
- This pouch so you don’t have to worry about leaving valuables on the beach
- These tag holders so you don’t end up with lost luggage on the cruise ship!
- These packing cubes so you can find your stuff once on the cruise
- These types of beach shoes so you don’t have to worry about hidden rocks under the sand at any of the cruise ports
- This type of beach bag that’ll help you dry things out so you can be ready for the next beach day!
- For your beach outfits, take a look at…
- Cruise formal: And here are ideas for your cruise outfits for formal night!
- Seasickness: And here are ideas for snacks and wearables to prevent seasickness
- Snorkeling: And here are tips on what to wear snorkeling
HAPPY STINGRAY CITY PLANNING!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.