Before you cruise, remember to check directly with the cruise line you’re sailing to know the things that you aren’t allowed to bring on a cruise ship.
Besides the more obvious items like weapons, illegal substances, and alcohol not being allowed on a cruise ship, there may also be items that are best not to bring along on your cruise that you may not think twice about.
For example, if it’s your first time cruising, you might think of bringing along…
Some candles as you celebrate a special occasion on board…
Or a coffee maker to get you going without having to leave your room…
Or an iron or steamer so you can look dashing for when you’re thinking about what to wear on a cruise formal night.
These are among the banned items on most cruise ships.
Be sure to check far below for the list of prohibited items on the cruise you’ll be taking, no matter the cruise line!
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page to go straight to the list of what YOUR cruise line tells you NOT to bring on a cruise!
TOP 5 things you NEED for your cruise
Okay, maybe not NEED, but you’ll want 😉
With affiliate links taking you away for your browsing fun! 😉
- This type of tag holder to make sure your cruise luggage doesn’t get lost on the ship
- This spray to look your best on formal night. (Wrinkle-free!)
- These cubes for packing to find your stuff when you first get on the ship
- These to find your stuff during the cruise! (Organize your stateroom!)
- This type of phone case to take pristine underwater pictures when snorkeling – it’s cheap!
See the list for cruise formal night too that includes what to wear on a cruise formal night!
Sneaking prohibited items onto a cruise ship
Among the most popular questions asked when it comes to prohibited items on a cruise?
- How do you sneak alcohol on a cruise?
- How do you sneak a steamer on a cruise?
Well, there’s really no alternative for alcohol, and with people attempting to get sneaky about bringing alcohol on a cruise, the security officers are also learning at the same time what methods people attempt.
Alternative to steamer
If you want to take a steamer onto a cruise ship, the biggest reason you are looking to do so is probably for your formal night outfits.
Some cruise lines do have irons available in their laundry room, so you’ll want to check with the cruise line you’re sailing to see if this is available for you.
What’s the most dangerous even on board a cruise ship?!
(This makes for the BIGGEST reason that many items make the list of banned items on a cruise!)
(See below!) 😉
- Hawaii: What to wear hiking in Hawaii | Hawaii sunscreen ban
- Caribbean: Cruise formal night outfit ideas | Key West sunscreen ban
- More travel: When to avoid a trip to Japan
FIRE is the most dangerous event on board a cruise ship!
And fire can spread rapidly!
So don’t try to go around this rule and sneak a fire-producing item on the cruise ship thinking that no one’s going to catch you with the banned item.
Even if no one catches you, it’s not worth the risk! You probably don’t want to be in the middle of an ocean on a ship with rapidly spreading fire. 😉
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, there is a dedicated fire-fighting crew on board each cruise ship.
Although fire-producing items are among the items that pose the greatest risk to safety at sea, they aren’t the only things that are not allowed on cruise ships.
You don’t want any unhappy cruisers in your group when they find out they brought a restricted item on the cruise and it needs to be confiscated.
You don’t want to start off your vacation with a negative attitude! Negative attitudes can be just like fire – they can spread FAST!
So be sure to check out your cruise line’s policies of what is and what is not allowed on the cruise before you leave for vacation!
Cruise line policies of prohibited items
Below are policies for some of the more popular cruise lines. Read through your cruise line’s policies so you know what the prohibited items on your cruise ship are.
What not to bring on a Carnival cruise
What not to bring on a Celebrity cruise
What not to bring on a Disney cruise
Holland America cruise
What not to bring on a Holland America cruise
What not to bring on a Norwegian cruise
What not to bring on a Princess cruise
Royal Caribbean cruise
What not to bring on a Royal Caribbean cruise
Also have a look at:
- Sneaking alcohol on a cruise – don’t do it 😉
- Checklist of things to pack for your Caribbean cruise!
- How to prevent your cruise luggage from getting lost on the cruise ship!
HAPPY CRUISE PACKING!
More cruise tips:
– Cruises from Florida
– Food to eat on a Carnival cruise
– What to wear for cruise formal night
– Do you need a passport for a cruise?
– Do you need cruise travel insurance?
– Cruises with kids: Things to do on embarkation day
– How to prevent cruise luggage from getting lost on the cruise ship
– How to prevent seasickness
Cruise tips on Pinterest: Follow the Cruise Travel board!
Best shoes for your active vacationHit search at the top for any of these items to get more variety on Amazon through these affiliate links!
- Walking: These types of hiking sandals. For walking in hot weather, they are more breathable than shoes, while still giving you necessary traction on the trails. Also see these travel sandals.
- Beach: These types of beach shoes. For beach walking, wading in the water, and rocky shorelines, they can prevent cuts from hidden rocks or when bumping into coral reef.
- What to wear hiking
- What to wear snorkeling
- What to wear on a cruise formal night
Best things to pack for active travel- First-time snorkelers love full-face snorkeling masks.
- These UV protection shirts are a hit so you don't have to keep re-applying sunscreen and don't have to worry as much about getting sunburn!
- These types of small backpacks are perfect for a day out so you can carry essentials... and snacks!
- And these popular packing cubes can be a life-saver when you're traveling!
Don't get your valuables stolen when you travel- On city excursions: This neck pouch that tons of people love. It makes it harder for money to be stolen, and RFID-blocking feature stops thieves from scanning your credit card info when they are close to you.
- At the beach: This type of pouch that you can easily take your wallet in the water with you, instead of leaving on the beach.